Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Katriana Goes To Kindergarten

Yesterday, Katriana started her first day of Kindergarten! Her teacher's name is Ms. Evans. She woke up excited to go but I could see a little nervousness too. I decided that I am going to drive her to school for awhile before sending her on the long bus ride. Her Kindergarten is all day so she takes a lunch with her. She attends the American school on post and they have a dress code to follow. It makes it really easy to pick out clothes every day!




Here is the Schweinfurt Elementary School building.

As we got to school she got more and more scared of her big first day. Aaron stayed home with Josef and Gretchen so I could take Katriana by myself. They opened the big green gate and all of the new kindergarteners rushed in looking for their teacher. The kindergarten rooms are located in a separate wing of the school so they all line up every morning on the playground and then their teacher takes them in. Today parents could accompany them to their classroom, but otherwise we say our good-byes on the playground. As Katriana was waiting in line the nerves finally got to her and she shed a few tears and gave me LOTS and LOTS of hugs! I knew she would do great once she got in her room and started the day, but it is always scary to take that first step into a new place.





Her teacher is the lady in the blue dress, Ms. Evans. I am told she loves to be hands-on which will be great for Katriana. They are going to get tadpoles soon and watch them turn into frogs!


Katriana found her cubby and we hung up her jacket and her loads of school supplies.


They start the day with circle time. She gave me one last hug and kiss and then it was time to say good-bye.


Katriana had a wonderful first day of school! I picked her up and she was all smiles. Here is her class lining up to come to the gate to go home.


Leaving school and running into the arms of waiting moms and dads.


One of her classes at school is Host Nation where they will learn some German language and customs. I am so happy they do that! She said they learned some German names for body parts today. They also have classes like art, music, and gym where they go to a different teacher.

It's hard to believe that Katriana is a real school girl now! It seems just yesterday I was in the Hanau hospital welcoming her into the world. I think it is neat that she was born in Germany and is now starting school in Germany. We look forward to an exciting year!!

6 comments:

Grandma Hedy said...

I am teary right along with Katriana and I bet her mama. She will do wonderfully well. She will learn so much and have fun doing it.

Little wonders said...

Being at school all day is a very BIG adjustment....for both Katriana and Mommy!!! We are definitely learning that this year!

Joey said...

Katriana looks so grown up too! What are you feeding these kids? Hehe.

Auntie Nicki said...

Watch out big world! Here comes Katriana!

Andi said...

What an exciting first day of school. I'm very emotional reading your blog - such a special time for both of you. It looks like a great school.

Kelli said...

I'm sure she'll do great at her new school and make lots of new friends!