Wednesday, December 23, 2009

First Snowman, Last Market

Earlier this week we actually got some snow that stayed on the ground. The kids were so excited and we played outside all afternoon. This was a light snow though, nothing that you could pack and make into things. The next day the temps got up into the 40s and sadly our new found snow was disappearing. We had this yucky rain mixture going on which made things outside very very sloppy, but it did make the snow still on the ground packable now. We walked Josef down the street to school and after we came home Katriana begged to build a snowman. So we braved the yucky rain mixture and built a beautiful snow lady complete with her flower pot hat.




Of course when Josef came home from school and saw our beautiful snow lady he wanted to make a little snowboy to go with her. The snowboy gets a green flower pot hat and a walking stick to go on hikes with.


I think our mother and son snow people look quite dandy! It's too bad our weather didn't cooperate and allow them to stick around a little longer. We sure did have lots of fun building them though!


All of the German Christmas markets are now coming to a close for this year. We decided to make one last visit downtown to the Schweinfurt market to enjoy our last treats and take in the sights, smells and sounds of Christmas. We were wandering around when Josef spied St. Nickolas with his sack walking through the aisles. We walked up to him to say hello. I wish you could have seen the expression of complete awe on Gretchen's face. It was priceless! St. Nicholas gave each of the kids a little chocolate candy and wished everyone a Merry Christmas.


The Christmas market just makes such a beautiful sight at night with everything lit up and just makes you feel happy.



I did say we got our last Christmas market treats. The food at these markets range from waffles (one of my favorites), crepes, roasted nuts, bratwurst, french fries, chocolate covered fruits, bakery items and much more! Everything looks delicious. Josef chose french fries for his last market treat, but I didn't get a picture of him. Katriana chose to get a GIANT pretzel!


Gretchen just LOVES the bratwurst!! She just gobbles it up!


We really enjoyed going to the Christmas markets and enjoying the unique things that they offer. We look forward to going again next year.




Merry Christmas from our house to yours!!

5 comments:

Andi said...

I LOVE the flower pot hats! I've never seen that - great idea. Snow people are always a good time. Those markets look amazing.

Little wonders said...

Merry Christmas!!! I LOVE the snow people...and WOW...that was the biggest pretzel I have ever seen!

Grandma Hedy said...

Lovely families-real and snow people!!

Joey said...

Great snow people!!

Scott said...

I like the snowpeople, they are cool. That is one huge pretzel.