Friday, July 30, 2010

Josef's Last Day

Today was a bittersweet day for me. It was Josef's last day at the German kindergarten. Since April I have been going back and forth on the decision to keep him there for one more year or to send him to American Kindergarten. At the end of June I met with his teachers and we decided it would be in his best interest to send to him to school with English speaking kids. Until recently, Josef has hardly spoken a word at school which made it difficult for his teachers to work with him. I think he was intimidated by the language. Next year he would actually be learning subjects and would need to understand German and to speak it. I and his teachers feel he is not up to that level and it would be difficult for him. So I made the decision to take him out of school at the end of July. Of course now that I disenrolled him he decides to start speaking!

He had a wonderful last day with his German friends. We brought cupcakes for everyone and gave his teachers some flowers. He got to play his favorite games and got good luck wishes and big hugs from all of his classmates and teachers.











One last time on the playground slide. Many fun times were had here.


Goodbye teacher Melanie!


Goodbye Frau Zimmerman! (She is also the headmaster of the school).

This ends one chapter in Josef's life. I hope he carries these memories and experiences with him forever. We enjoyed experiencing the German school and taking part in the traditions.

I hope he adjusts well to the American Kindergarten in another month. He has a tough time with change and it takes him a long time to feel comfortable. I pray that he can transition smoothly.

Although Josef is finished, the German Kronungen Kindergarten has not seen the last of me...... Gretchen will start attending in September!

5 comments:

Auntie Nicki said...

Experiences are the building blocks of life! German kindergarten will always be part of who Josef is. What a wonderful memory to take with him for the rest of his life!

Joey said...

Man, I know how hard decisions like that can be. I'm so glad it was a good experience and am excited for Gretchen in the fall.

Grandma Hedy said...

Josef will do well!! Gretchen will learn German quickly and she will continue her verbal strengths.

Little wonders said...

Enjoy your time off school, Josef!

Andi said...

What a great place to learn! Wonderful that Josef got to go and I can't wait to see Gretchen's adventures. Have fun at your new school, Josef.