Saturday, February 8, 2014

Stan Musial 6K Bridge Run

This was a ""Once in a Lifetime Run".  When I got the e-mail about the 6k race I just had to do it.  This was a run to celebrate the opening of the new Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge that spans the Mississippi River between Illinois and Missouri.  Construction began in 2012 and will open to traffic tomorrow, February 9, 2014.   

It was a cold morning at a chilly 16 degrees and there had been a some light snow the night before, but it was a great run!  I talked my neighbor and her husband and son to run it with me and we all had a great time. It was a 6k (3.7 miles) run that started in downtown St. Louis, crossed over the bridge, then u-turned and headed back the way we came.  The farthest that I have ran in a race is 5K so I was a little worried about making it to the end, but I did it!!!  The adrenaline and excitement kicked in and I felt good running the whole way.  I am very proud of myself and hope to do some more races this spring/summer!





My neighbors and I ready to race!




I held up my phone and took some shots as I was running across the bridge.




















It was fun being timed with a special chip that was in the bib and I got a souvenir medal too!



I had a lot of fun and was one of the first 2900 people to cross over the new bridge!  Not many people can say that!!

2 comments:

Joey said...

Congratulations Kari! You are one speedy girl!

Grandma Hedy said...

Wow! What a dedicated runner.