Once inside the city you can walk up the old, steep stone steps and walk on top of the wall (ramparts). They are remarkably unchanged since the 14th century. The passageways are very narrow, but the view of the city is nice and it is just great fun to walk on the wall!
This is a view of the Galgentor (Gallows Gate).
The imposing Rathaus (Town Hall) reflects the former wealth of this small town. Can you spot my kids?
This is a picture I took from a window in the rathaus of some buildings on the city square.
This was a picturesque spot on the city square with the half-timbered buildings. If you look close, you can see Katriana in front of the fountain and Josef off to the side of it.
A unique pastry you can only find in Rothenburg are schneeballen. They are a dough ball made in a special cooking iron. You can get them with things like sugar, chocolate and coconut on them and some have a filling inside. If one comes to Rothenburg you need to taste a shneeballen. Personally, I don't care for them as I find them quite bland. They do look pretty though.
This is a view of the city from the gardens. You can see the wall amongst the trees. It is a beautiful view of the Tauber valley from here.
It is just really neat to walk in an old medieval city and wonder what life was like here centuries ago and who walked where I was walking.
4 comments:
Very cool!! Hopefully someday we will be able to go on adventures also! Your blog makes mine seem so boring now. ;) Yes, I spotted your kids!
Wow! It looks just like the city model Aaron made in middle school. What a priceless experience.
Rothenburg helps you imagine life in the Middle Ages. It is so beautiful.
I think I'm going to be saying "WOW" on your blog comments a lot the next couple of years. WOW, that city looks awesome. I hope we'll be able to visit!!
Post a Comment