Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wurzberg

Both of the Grandmas came to visit us in early July to help us unpack and get settled. If it was not for them I think we would still be swamped with boxes! I am so thankful they came for two weeks to help with things. My kids can be pretty hard to deal with at times and they both trooped through it. THANK YOU GRANDMAS!!! I appreciate all of your help! One trip that we took while they were here was to nearby Wurzberg.

Wurzberg is known for its splendid Residenz. They only do tours in English at certain hours of the day, so we did not tour the inside of it this time around. However, five or so years ago when Aaron and I were here we did get the opportunity to tour the inside. It is maginificent with its grand staircase and baroque style.





We strolled through the city a little bit and went inside the Cathedral (Dom St. Kilian). It has been restored, like the rest of Wurzberg, but it is still a sight to see. The altar and chapels are lovely with their massiveness. There is a crypt under the Cathedral where some prince-bishops and many others are buried.




The city streets were adorned with beautiful flowers. The Germans really know how to plant flowers and keep them looking nice. You just don't see flowers like this in the United States.





After strolling through the streets we crossed the Alte Mainbrucke (Old Bridge) over the Main River. It is beautifully adorned with statues of saints. Once across the bridge we decided to visit the Festung Marienberg (Marienberg Fortress).

Now, there are different ways to get up to the Marienberg such as a bus or driving your car. But we ventured up the hard way on the steep steps! The climb was a stiff one with steps that seemed like they would never end. The poor Grandmas had a bit of a hard time with all of those steps and I felt badly for taking them on this venture.


Of course there is a great view of Wurzburg from here! Was it worth the the long climb up those steps?




The Marienberg was home to the prince-bishops from the 13th to the 18th centuries.



Fortresses always have beautiful gardens, and this one was no exception.





After all of that touring we had to have a nice meal at a German Gasthaus.




Thank you Grandmas!

4 comments:

Grandma Hedy said...

I am happy that we could help a little. I appreciate all the trips we took and the wonderful outings to the German restaurants. I always smile when I think of Gretchen's holy nook resting with the departed prince bishops!!

Little wonders said...

I get so excited when I see that you have posted something new!! I love that we are getting a personal tour of Germany! :) Great pictures, as always!

Joey said...

Looks like another great trip! I remember doing a ton of walking when I was in Europe - but then I didn't feel so bad sampling the local treats. The kids have awesome T-shirts!!

Andi said...

I love the kid's shirts, too! The pictures are just beautiful. What an experience! You are right...you don't find such great flowers here in the states. Looking forward to the next post!