One wise man carries holy water and sprinkles it on the doorway and then the initials of the Three Kings -- C+M+B (Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar) -- plus the year are inscribed in chalk over the doorway to protect house and home. We saw the kings walking around going to houses across the street from us but, much to our dismay, they never came our way so our house did not get the blessing. Three Kings day marks the end of the Christmas celebration in Germany.
4 comments:
Another delightful German tradition. I am sure all the blessings of St. Nicholas and the village priest will keep you all safe and sound.
You should have have yelled across the street: "I've got charity money!" Maybe they would have stopped. Neat tradition.
Fun! I was always a big fan of the three kings.
How nice!! Maybe they will visit you next year....
Post a Comment