Monday, August 15, 2011

Alpspix

We just enjoyed two weeks of R&R with Aaron.  We did some fun activities like go to Playmobile Fun Park, have a bonfire with the neighbors and just hang out around home.  One of the highlights of the two weeks for me was our 5-day trip down to Garmisch.  I LOVE the mountains and it is just so beautiful down there.   Since the military Edelweiss Hotel was full they offered us a cabin.  It was a nice change from a hotel room and great to be off by ourselves.  We really enjoyed it.










The kids had fun sleeping up in the loft!  This cabin reminded me of my favorite childhood show "Little House on the Prairie."







This is what we woke up to the next morning.  Just beautiful!!!



It was a picture-perfect day with bright, blue skies and hardly a cloud. We had to go see the Alpspix. In a previous trip we had gone to the top of the Zugspitz (the tallest mountain in Germany), but we have never been to the Alpspitze.    They built a new viewing platform at the base of the Alpspitze peak and I really wanted to go see it.  So, up we went in the cable car!



Here is the view from the cable car.



We made it to the base of the Alpspitze.  Last summer they opened a new viewing platform called the AlpspiX.  Here, the two steel beams with a length of 79 feet of the AlpspiX Viewing Platform jut out 42 feet over an empty void with the other 66 feet anchored in the rock. At the end of the structure, you reach a glass wall and have a sensational view of the nearby cliffs, the breathtaking alpine panorama and almost 3281 feet down into the depths.  It was really cool, but not for those afraid of heights! 






Here is what it looks like standing on the platform looking down at our feet.  Nothing but an inch or two of steel between you and the mountain depths.   It was awesome!!



Some views from the platform.  Just breathtaking.







On every peak there is a cross!



There are a few hiking trails up there so we did a short one.  We took another cable car down a short ways to another peak and did about a 45 minute hike to another cable car to take us back down the mountain.   It was a fun and beautiful hike!!  I love the mountains!!















On our hike there was this rock that looked like a face.  Can you see it?



Do you see the trail winding through the mountains?  That is the trail we hiked on.



Back in the cable car and down the mountain we go.




Did I say that I love the mountains?!!!  God is great!!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Your pictures are beautiful! I'm glad you were able to have fun and relaxing family time while Aaron was home!

Auntie Nicki said...

Breathtaking! What a fun excursion! I'm glad Aaron's home-coming was memorable!

Grandma Hedy said...

Such wonderful memories you made!

Little wonders said...

Beautiful!! Your cabin looks so nice. I'm not sure if I could have walked out on that ledge, but glad you were able to!!!

Jean said...

Sehr schön! What a wonderful vacation with great memories (and photos). Thank you for sharing :)