Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day brings back memories of my travels to Ireland with Aaron. It is such a beautiful country! On our first excursion to Ireland we attended an Irish wedding. Those Irish folks really know how to throw a good party! On our first tour to Germany Aaron and I became good friends with Bill and Maire. They had gotten married in the states, but Maire also wanted to have an Irish wedding since that is where she is from. We visited Maire's childhood home and had fun singing and drinking with her family. Sadly to say, I have lost touch with Marie. I have tried and tried to find her but am not having any luck. She is now living in Ireland and I would really love to reconnect with her someday.

Our second excursion to Ireland was a sightseeing vacation. I remember how we had to get used driving on the 'wrong' side of the street and there were roundabouts and hedges everywhere. We spent a week seeing this lush, green, beautiful country! We did things like kiss the Blarney stone, toured some old castles, saw the Cliffs of Mora, spent a night on an island, stayed in a quaint little B&B, saw lots of old stone ruins and drove through the hills where all you could hear was the sound of sheep. It was a great week and I would love to go back again.

Today at school the kids also got to experience a bit of the Irish. Everyone wore green, they had "Lucky Charms" for a treat as well as the green Rice Krispie treats that Katriana brought, and they made some art projects. But the most exciting thing of the day was the visit from the leprechauns! While Katriana's class was at gym, the leprechauns created chaos in her classroom by taking out toys, tipping over chairs and just making a big, big mess of things. The kids came back from gym and didn't know what happened! Those sneaky leprechauns even turned out the lights while the kids were working on their projects! Mr. Tom, the janitor, told the kids he tried to catch them but they were too quick. The leprechauns also visited Josef's classroom while they were getting some fresh air outside. In his room the sneaky little guys put chairs on top of tables, took out some toys and even tipped one table over. The nerve of them! You have to watch out for those leprechauns you know - they are very sneaky little creatures!!! The kids were very excited to tell me the stories when I picked them up from school.




May the luck of the Irish always be with you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your very own leprechauns!!

Anonymous said...

Josef and Katriana make great little leprechauns. It is funny to see Josef with a beard! I hope someday that you can find your Irish friend. Just keep looking. That sounds like a wonderfully romantic time in Ireland with Aaron. Maybe I can convince my DH to take me someday!

Little wonders said...

I love the idea that the school had with the leprechauns!! So fun! Katriana and Josef look so cute!

Joey said...

When I was in kindergarten a leprechaun visited our classroom and I thought they were real for a long time. You may have some little believers! I love Josef's beard too!