Sunday, March 1, 2009

Oh, What A Dish!

It was Saturday and I really wanted to get out of the house and do something fun with the kids. My original plan was to go to the Children's Museum. So I called my sister Kelli and we loaded up the kids and headed over there. However, once we got there and saw how busy it was with birthday parties and such we decided to post-pone it until Sunday when it would be less busy. Katriana was not at all happy about this decision. We walked the streets of Appleton for a bit going in a store or two, but then got cold and headed back to the van. I started driving back home racking my brain for an idea of what we could do. Nothing materialized. I decided to stop to fill up the van with fuel...........and there it was. Forget the fuel, I could get that another day. On a whim, we headed over to the paint-your-own-pottery store "Oh, What A Dish!"

We had never done this before so it would be a new and fun experience for all! We picked our table and browsed the shelf for something special we could paint. There were various figurines and different dishes to choose from. We decided on painting personalized plates for all the kids. Kelli also painted herself an oversized mug. We got our paints and started being creative.


Katriana had a lot of fun creating her masterpiece.


Her plate went from looking like this......



to the finished product looking like this! So lovely.



Josef concentrated to make his plate just perfect.



There are many tools you can use to make your creation. Stickers, stencils, stamps, sponges......we used stickers and stamps. Here is Josef's plate in progress.



And here is his finished plate with a car, train and airplane.



Gretchen could not quite paint yet, so mommy helped her out a little bit. She did have a lot of fun putting fishies into Auntie Kelli's cup though!



Here is Gretchen's plate with her name in stickers...



After some stamps, shading and dots - here is the fun end result!



The plates are now ready to be fired! The colors on the plates will look much different after they come out of the kiln. We used some paints with sparkles in it and the pink on Josef's plate will actually be red. We can pick them up on Wednesday and are excited to see them! They are safe to eat on and can be used in the microwave and dishwasher. Stay tuned for the finished masterpieces!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun. I can hardly wait to see the finished works of art. The pieces will be happy memories of Kimberly.

Little wonders said...

I have always wanted to do that with my kids!!! The plates look fantastic!! I, too, am very excited to see the end result!

Joey said...

How cool!! It's always fun to make a mess somewhere other than home.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that shop. It looks like such fun. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Anonymous said...

There is a similar shop in Steven's Point. We've been there twice. Lots of fun for big kids too. We remember the fun we had together every time we use them. Great idea Mom!