Friday, March 5, 2010

WAWI Chocolate Factory

When we heard of the WAWI Chocolate Factory in the city of Pirmasens near Ramstein we just had to go check it out!! We started our tour on WAWI’s lower floor, where workers wearing hairnets and white coats poured liquid cocoa on trays of puffed rice and painted chocolate eyes on bunny molds. We viewed the quiet action through windows, since customers aren’t allowed onto the factory floor.




WAWI's specialty is chocolate puffed rice. We had a sample of it and I really did not like it very much.





A view of the factory.



Since Easter is approaching, they are producing hollow Easter bunnies. It was neat to see them being made from start to finish. First the ladies put the aluminum molds into the cases.



Next, they are filled with chocolate.



Then they rotate for a little while to spread the chocolate so it takes the form of the bunny.



And then out they come!









After watching the production, we went upstairs where there was a small museum with various molds from the past.









There was also the factory store! Of course, we couldn't leave empty handed! We got many treats to try. We got some chocolate noodles, chocolate suckers and more! I thought the Easter calendars were unique so I got some for the kids to count down to Easter.





I hope you enjoyed the tour! It was just a small factory, but we found it interesting and the kids (and adults) enjoyed the free samples too. So, go have some chocolate ;-)

4 comments:

Kelli said...

That chocolate looks yummy! I wish I was in that chair with Josef and Gretchen!

Andi said...

Yummmm! That last picture is so adorable. Glad you are having fun seeing the sights.

Little wonders said...

Oh I would love visiting a Chocolate Factory like that (especially the samples)!! I also love that last picture...too cute! You can never have enough chocolate!!

Auntie Nicki said...

Delicious! Save some for Easter!